In todays video, we lrecreate one of the most traditional dishes in Sweden: Janssons Frestelse. Check out our video below and keep scrolling for the ecipe:
Please accept YouTube cookies to play videos on arnecarlos.com
By accepting you will be accessing content from YouTube, a service provided by an external third party.
If you accept this notice, your choice will be saved and the page will refresh.
2 onions 1 kg (2 pounds) potatoes
2 cans of anchovies keep the liquid.
2 dl (0.8 cups) heavy cream
1 dl (0.4 cups) milk
2 tbsp grated bread or Panko
2 tbsp butter
1. Peel the potatoes and slice as to make French Fries. Peel and slice the onions thinly.
2. In a pan with very little butter, cook the sliced onion until soft and golden.
3. Butter up an oven dish and layer potatoes, cooked onions and anchovies. Start and end with potatoes.
4. Mix the cream, milk, and 2 tbsp of the liquid from the anchovies in a bowl. Add half of this liquid mixture to the Janssons. Keep the rest of the liquid for later.
5. Add small clicks of butter to the top of the Janssons and sprinkle the grated bread or Panko.
6. Cook in the oven at 225 C (435 F) for 45 minutes. When the dish has been in the oven for 30 minutes, take it out and carefully add the rest of the liquid along the corners or side of the dish. Cook for another 15 minutes.
Janssons frestelse can be made in advance and can be frozen. It is a perfect dish to have by itself or as part of a Swedish Smørgåsbord. Enjoy! ARNE & CARLOS